Adelaide Central Market


One of my favourite places to visit in Adelaide is the Adelaide Central Market a wonderful place to shop or even just to explore. Situated just off  Victoria Square , right in the centre of Adelaide, it is one of the best tourist assets we have, though probably does not get the recognition it deserves.

The original market was set up for local growers to sell their produce, but now it is a vibrant, colourful market full of stalls selling all manner of  produce from fruit and vegetables, local fish and seafood, meat, small goods, gourmet delicacies, asian groceries and a variety of other goods. The market area is surrounded by small variety shops selling just about everything, restaurants, wine bars and an Asian Food Hall.



It is full of colour, life, music and a happy throng of visitors. 




















































As a child I would be taken by my parents every Friday night to buy our weekly produce. We would catch the old Glenelg tram - how I miss them and spend a wonderful evening purchasing our goods - always mettwurst from Paul's and hot roast peanuts from Ditters for my father and my brother and I were allowed to press our noses up to the glass fronts of the sweets stall and make our selection from the glorious array of sweets. My favourites were the little hard, brown fish that smelled and tasted like cinnamon and cloves.










.



Liz Needle

Linking with

Our World Tuesday

Comments

  1. Oh, wow! A feast for the eyes! I would love to be there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I would like to shop at this marketplace. Looks like they have everything, even wine.
    The flowers are pretty. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Adelaide Oval

Adelaide Botanic Gardens 1

Adelaide Street Art